India-Malaysia: Defence and Trade relations discussed
9th Nov, 2023
Visit of Malaysia’s External Affairs Minister to Delhi for attending the sixth India-Malaysia Joint Commission Meeting (JCM).
Outcome of the meeting:
- Happening of the recent JCM was considered important as it has taken place for the first time since 2011.
- The broad focus of deliberation was to enhance strategic partnership between the two countries.
- JCM in Delhi, reviewed the progress of the relations between the two countries in the areas of politics, defence, security and technology, health and tourism.
- Also shared perspectives on the Indo-Pacific, ASEAN, West Asia and other regional and global issues.
- Both countries stated that they are bound by robust economic partnership and close people-to-people tie.
- The two foreign ministers witnessed the signing of a memorandum of understanding for cooperation between Prasar Bharti and Radio Television Malaysia (RTM), and another agreement between the Sushma Swaraj Institute of Foreign Service and Malaysia's Institute of Diplomacy and Foreign Relations on cooperation in the training of diplomats.
- Malaysia’s Foreign Minister also met India’s Vice President Jaideep Dhankar to discuss ways in which bilateral ties between the two countries could be boosted.
India and Malaysia marked 65 years of diplomatic ties in 2022.
The ties were elevated to an enhanced strategic partnership in 2015 and the two sides issued a roadmap for cooperation in 2017.