Heritage camp at Ramappa temple
23rd Sep, 2022
A 12-day World Heritage Volunteers (WHV) Camp-2022 is set to be organised under the aegis of the Warangal-based Kakatiya Heritage Trust at the historic Ramappa temple in Palampet of Mulugu district.
About Ramappa Temple
- Ramappa Temple, also known as the Rudreshswara (Lord Siva) temple, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site located in the state of Telangana.
- It lies in a valley in Palampet village of Venkatapur Mandal of Mulugu district,a tiny village long past its days of glory in the 13th and 14th centuries.
- An inscription in the temple dates it to the year 1213 CE and says it was built by a Kakatiya General RecharlaRudra Deva, during the period of theKakatiya ruler Ganapati Deva.
- This temple was constructed by Kakatiya king Ganapati Deva’s general RecharlaRudra.
- Kakatiya Dynasty was the South Indian dynasty that ruled Andhra Pradesh in India from 1083 CE to 1323 CE.
- RamalingeswaraSwamyis the presiding deity of this temple.
- Marco Polo, during his visit to the Kakatiya Empire, allegedly called the temple “the brightest star in the galaxy of temples”.
- The temple complexes of Kakatiyas have a distinct style, technology, and decoration exhibiting the influence of the Kakatiyan sculptor.
- The temple stands on a 6 feet high star-shaped platform with walls, pillars, and ceilings adorned with intricate carvings that attest to the unique skill of the Kakatiyan sculptors.
- The foundation is built with the “sandbox technique”,the flooring is granite, and the pillars are basalt.
- The technique involved filling the pit — dug up for laying the foundation — with a mixture of sand-lime, jaggery (for binding) and karakkaya (black myrobalan fruit) before the buildings were constructed on these 'sandboxes'.
- The sandbox in the foundation acts as a cushion in case of earthquakes.
- Most of the vibrations caused by earthquakes lose their strength while passing through the sand by the time they reach the actual foundation of the building.
- The lower part of the temple is red sandstonewhile the white gopuram is built with light bricks that reportedly float on water.
- The Kakatiya temples, dedicated mostly to Shiva, reveal in their construction a happy blending of the styles of North India and South India which influenced the political life of the Deccan.
- They adopted both theNorth Indian NagaraBhumija style and the South Indian Dravida style.
- The most important of these temples are those atPalampet (Ramappa temple), Hanamkonda (Thousand Pillared temple) and the temples in the Warangal fort including the big ruined temple complex — Swayambhunadha temple.
About United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- UNESCO was formed in 1945, is a specialized agency of the United Nations (UN) based in Paris.
- It works for achieving peace and security by promoting international collaboration through educational, scientific, and cultural reforms in order to increase universal respect for justice, the rule of law, and human rights along with fundamental freedom proclaimed in the United Nations Charter.
- It has 195 member states and ten associate members.
- India is a founding member of the Organisation.
- India now has 40 world heritage sites, including 32 cultural heritage sites, 7 natural sites and 1 mixed site.
- It makes India seventh ranked country in the list of world heritage properties.