For Science and the Farmer
The government clearance for the release of GM Mustard Hybrid DMH 11 is a bold decision in the best interest of our farmers and the nation.
Recognition and Reservations:
- Exporter of agricultural produce: India is fetching more than $50 billion annually, due to the establishment of the best institutions and the building of capable human resources.
- Unscientific Reasoning: Like today, reservations were also expressed when dwarf miracle seeds of wheat and rice were imported during the Green Revolution.
- Deficit in Edible Oils: India is currently importing around 13 million tonnes at a cost of Rs 1.17 lakh crore to the exchequer.
- Consumption of GM-based oil: Given the import of 2.0-2.5 mt soybean oil and 1.0-1.5 mt canola oil, it can be concluded that we are already consuming GM-based oil.
- Impact on Health: It is scientifically proven that the consumption of refined oil does not allow any protein to enter the human system, hence can be considered safe.