Dr. Vikram Ambalal Sarabhai
4th Nov, 2019
Nation celebrated Vikram Sarabhai's, the father of the Indian Space Programme, 100th birthday on 12 August 2019.
Nation celebrated Vikram Sarabhai's, the father of the Indian Space Programme, 100th birthday on 12 August 2019. He was an Indian physicist and industrialist who initiated space research and helped develop nuclear power in India.
- Vikram Sarabhai was an award-winning physicist, industrialist and innovator.
- Considered the Father of the Indian space programme, Sarabhai is also credited with establishing Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro).
- Born to wealthy industrialists in the city of Ahmedabad in Gujarat on August 12, 1919, Vikram Sarabhai earned his doctorate from Cambridge University.
- During his time at Cambridge, he studied cosmic rays and published many research papers on it.
- After returning to India, he founded the Physical Research Laboratory (PRL) in Ahmedabad on November 11, 1947, when he was 28 years old.
- After PRL, Sarabhai set up the Space Applications Centre in Ahmedabad, and guided the establishment of Isro.
Most important institutions founded by Vikram Sarabhai
- Physical Research Laboratory (PRL), Ahmedabad
- Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Ahmedabad
- Community Science Centre, Ahmedabad
- Darpan Academy for Performing Arts, Ahmedabad (along with his wife)
- Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Thiruvananthapuram
- Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad (formed by merging six institutions established by Sarabhai)
- Faster Breeder Test Reactor (FBTR), Kalpakkam
- Variable Energy Cyclotron Project, Calcutta
- Electronics Corporation of India Limited (ECIL), Hyderabad
- Uranium Corporation of India Limited (UCIL), Jaduguda, Bihar