India as a global organic fertilizer hub
28th Oct, 2022
With the fact that India has become one of the fastest growing economies of the World, it has invested in almost all sectors including the Organic fertilizers. India has a huge potential of Organic fertilisers and can edge in the field than other developing Countries.
So, let us see what India’s potential is and how it can help it to grow sustainable future in Agriculture.
What are Organic Fertilizers?
- Organic fertilizers are fertilizers that are naturally produced. Fertilizers are materials that can be added to soil or plants, in order to provide nutrients and sustain growth.
- Typical organic fertilizers include all animal waste including meat processing waste, manure, slurry, and guano; plus plant based fertilizers such as compost; and bio-solids.
- Inorganic "organic fertilizers" include minerals and ash.
- For Example: The main organic fertilizers are, peat, animal wastes, plant wastes from agriculture, and treated sewage sludge.
Why Organic fertilisers should be promoted?
- India organic fertilizer market is anticipated to grow with an estimated CAGR in the forecast years FY2023-FY2027, on the grounds of surging demand for the organic food.
- With the increasing concerns regarding harmful effects of chemically infused fertilizers over the crops, soil, consumers, as well as the environment as a whole, the demands for the organic fertilizers and driving the growth of the India organic fertilizer market will increased in the upcoming five years.
- Health benefits of utilizing organic fertilizers for the plant growth is also a major reason why farmers in India are shifting toward utilization of organic fertilizers thus aiding the growth of the India organic fertilizer market in the next five years.
How it can impact the India’s Agriculture sector?
- India’s dependence on Agricultural products: Agriculture industry of the country is practically backbone of the Indian economy.
- Over 58% of the population in the country is dependent on agricultural practices, equipment, tool, or production of the Agro products for their livelihood.
- Contributes to increase in GDP: The industry also contributes to 5% of India’s gross domestic product (GDP), while employing the largest workforce in the country.
- Facilitate higher yield in fields: Increasing number of agricultural farms, demands for high yielding crops, increasing agricultural practices, are also supporting the growth of the India organic fertilizers market in the next five years.
- Increasing Research and Development: Surging research and product development, increasing awareness among the farmers for using organic fertilizer over chemically infused products is also aiding the growth of the India organic fertilizer market in the future five years.
How do organic-based fertilizers contribute to sustainability?
- Smart growth– for an economy based on research, knowledge and innovation.
- Sustainable growth– for a resource-efficient, greener and more competitive economy.
- Inclusive growth– for a high-employment economy with social and territorial cohesion.
- The organic-based fertilizers industry generates local employment opportunities and regional economic development across both rural and urban areas, nurturing more vibrant manufacturing and farming communities.
- Organic food is more expensive because farmers do not get as much out of their land as conventional farmers do.
- Production costs are higher because farmers need more workers.
- Marketing and distribution is not efficient because organic fertilizers can be produced in smaller amounts as required.
- Organic farmers does not have sufficient knowledge and skills about localized soil systems, meteorology, ecology, and other factors that influence crop growth. Without the proper knowledge, an individual organic farmer will be unable to protect his crop in critical stages that may arise while farming processes.
- The crops are easily susceptible to illness that may slow down production.
- Organic farms have to go through tough certification processes.
Few Government Initiatives promoting Organic Fertilizer:
- Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana (PKVY): Cluster formation, training, certification and marketing are supported under the scheme to a farmer towards organic inputs.
- Participatory Guarantee System (PGS) certification.