Initiatives taken by India
- International Solar Alliance (ISA)is an alliance of more than 122 countries initiated by India, most of them being sunshine countries, which lie either completely or partly between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn. The primary objective is to work for efficient exploitation of solar energy.
- National Clean Air Program (NCAP): The government launched NCAP, to tackle increasing air pollution. The NCAP will be a mid-term, five-year action plan with 2019 as the first year. The main aim of the programme would be 20-30% reduction of PM2.5 and PM10 concentration by 2024.
- Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan is a national campaign by the government to clean streets, roads and infrastructure of the country.
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana is a move to expand LPG connection among rural poor and thus reduces household air pollution and protects health, particularly of women.
- Battery Cars: In order to reduce emissions and cut fuel imports, the government is buying 10,000 battery-powered cars from Tata Motors and Mahindra & Mahindra to replace Petrol and Diesel cars.
- Steps were taken to progress towards implementing the 2030 SDG targets. Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are ambitious global development goals that address key aspects of universal well-being across different socio-economic, cultural, geographical divisions and integrate the economic, social and environmental dimensions of development.