What's New :
New spider from Thar desert named after Malayali arachnologist
A new species of spider discovered from the Thar Desert of Rajasthan has been named after a Malayalee arachnologist.
- The new species of jumping spider, Pseudomogrus sudhii, has been named after Sudhikumar A.V., in recognition of his contributions to the field of Indian arachnology.
- He is also founder of the Centre for Animal Taxonomy and Ecology (CATE).
- This species inhabits dry grass blades of the desert.
- It is the first report of this genus from India.
- So far 35 species of spiders of this genus have been discovered worldwide.
- The spider is only 4-mm long.
- Dark brown coloured head of male is covered with small white hairs and has black eye region.
- There is a dark mid-longitudinal band traversing the pale-yellow coloured abdomen.
- Head of the female is yellow with black eyes. There are white spots on its light-yellow abdomen.
Verifying, please be patient.