Akash Prime Surface to Air missile
Science & Technology
5th Oct, 2021
The Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) successfully tested a new version of Akash Surface to Air missile Akash Prime from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur, Odisha.
About Akash Prime (New Generation)
- The Akash Prime is a medium-range mobile surface-to-air missile (SAM) system.
- Developed by:DRDO
- Produced by:Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL)
- Operational range:27-30 km
- Flight altitude: around 18 km
- The new version is equipped with an indigenous active Radio Frequency (RF) seeker for improved accuracy, as compared to the existing Akash System.
- It is a more reliable performer under a low-temperature environment at higher altitudes.
About Akash missile
- The development of the Akash SAM was started by the DRDO in the late 1980s which is a part of the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme.
- Akash is primarily a Short Range Surface to Air Missile
- This is built to provide air defense cover to the vulnerable areas.
- AKASH Weapon System can engage Multiple Targets in Group Mode or Autonomous Mode.
- It is a medium range nuclear capable supersonic missile.
- The missile system can target aircraft up to 30 km away or at altitudes up to 18,000 mts.
- It is in operational service with the Indian Army and the Indian Air Force.