Asia Environment Enforcement Awards, 2018
29th Nov, 2018
- United Nation Environment has awarded Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB) with Asia Environment Enforcement Awards, 2018 for excellent work done by the Bureau in combating trans-boundary environmental crimes.
- India has been conferred this award second time in a row.
Trans-boundary environmental crime
- It is a serious and growing problem in Asia.
- Illegal trade in wildlife is the fourth largest illegal trade globally (after drugs, counterfeiting and human trafficking).
- Asia remains one of the world’s largest dumping grounds for illegally traded chemicals and waste.
- Millions of tonnes of hazardous waste and harmful chemicals are transported to and within Asia, having disastrous effects for human health and the environment. Public officials and institutions/teams working on environmental enforcement issues are on the front-line of efforts to combat trans-boundary environmental crime.