Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao now includes skilling
Polity & Governance
14th Oct, 2022
The Centre has expanded the scope of its flagship outreach program‘BetiBachao, BetiPadhao' to include skilling.
- The government has decided to include skilling for girls in its BetiBachao, BetiPadao programme and has included the following component in the scheme:
- Ensuring a 1% annual increment in enrolment at the secondary school level
- To raise awareness about safe menstrual hygiene
- To promulgate the elimination of child marriages
- The scheme will now also focus on increasing the enrolment of girls in secondary education, particularly in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) subjects.
- Women have been historically under-represented in areas such as technology.
About Beti Bachao, Beti Padao:
- It was launched in January 2015 with the aim to address sex-selective abortion and the declining child sex ratio which was 918 girls for every 1,000 boys in 2011.
- This is a joint initiative of the Ministry of Women and Child Development, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, and the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- The program is being implemented across 405 districts in the country.