DigiYatra, the contactless passenger processing system
Polity & Governance
19th Aug, 2022
The Delhi International Airport Ltd (DIAL) recently announced the soft launch of the Centre’s DigiYatra initiative, rolling out the beta version of its app for Android platforms.
- DigiYatra is the passenger processing system based on facial recognition technology.
- It has been piloted at the Delhi airport and has had the required infrastructure set up at the airport’s Terminal 3.
- DigiYatra envisages that travellers pass through various checkpoints at the airport through paperless and contactless processing, using facial features to establish their identity, which would be linked to the boarding pass.
- With this technology, the entry of passengers would be automatically processed based on the facial recognition system at all checkpoints – including entry into the airport, security check areas, aircraft boarding, etc.
Digi Yatra platform will be built on 4 key pillars, like
- Connected Passengers
- Connected Airports
- Connected Flying
- Connected Systems
Availing the DigiYatra facility:
- To use this facility, passengers will need to first download the DigiYatra app.
- The Android version of the app is out, while the iOS version is expected to be released in the coming weeks.
- Users can register on the app using Aadhaar credentials, followed by a selfie with the Aadhaar card.
- After this, vaccination details using CoWIN credentials will have to be added to the app.
- Then, the person will have to scan his or her boarding pass with the QR code or Bar code, after which the credentials will be shared with the airport.
Processes at airport
- At the entry point E-Gate the Pax will scan his boarding pass or e-ticket (Print or a soft copy in mobile).
- On scanning the bar code/ QR code the system will validate the passenger details and flight details.
- Digi Yatra ID will verify the identity by Face Recognition.
- On successful verification of Ticket and Digi Yatra ID, e-Gate will open. Also, Face with ticket PNR is made in to a single token for the rest of the journey at the airport.
- Passenger will gain entry to security area and aircraft boarding through e-Gate operated on Facial Recognition System
How is DigiYatra being implemented?
- The project is being implemented by the DigiYatra Foundation.
- It is a joint-venture company whose shareholders are the Airports Authority of India (26% stake) and Bengaluru Airport, Delhi Airport, Hyderabad Airport, Mumbai Airport and Cochin International Airport.
- These five shareholders equally hold the remaining 74% of the shares.
- The DigiYatra Foundation will be the custodian of the passenger ID validation process.
- It will also define the criteria for compliance and guidelines for the local airport systems. There will be regular audits of the various compliances and guidelines.
- Passengers need not show boarding pass or ID at multiple check points.
- Minimum human intervention. Less queuing time.
- The security is enhanced as the system will map the passenger with the PNR. Only bona fide passenger will be allowed entry at every check point.
- Airport operator will have real time information on Passenger load and resource planning becomes better.
- Airlines will be benefitted by knowing the passenger position in the airport.
- Airport throughput will be enhanced.