Generic drugs to treat four rare diseases launched
Science & Technology
3rd Dec, 2023
These indigenous products will lead to drug prices being slashed up to 100 times of their current market value.
Four Rare Diseases:
- The Union Health Ministry has made available generic drugs to support the care and treatment of four ailments:
- Tyrosinemia-Type 1
- Gauchers Disease
- Wilson’s Disease
- The Dravet-Lennox Gastaut Syndrome
The cost of these drugs will be slashed by anywhere between 60 and 100 times of their current market value.
Other Rare Diseases:
- The Ministry is also in the process of making available drugs for more rare diseases, including Phenylketonuria and Hyperammonemia.
- A rare disease is a health condition of particularly low prevalence that affects a small number of people.
- It collectively afflicts 6-8% of the population in any country at any given time, so India could have 8.4 crore to 10 crore such cases, according to the Ministry.
- Nearly 80% percent of these diseases are genetic in nature.
- Thirteen rare diseases were prioritized like sickle cell anemia for children.
- This venture is purely a non-commercial venture guided only with the motive to serve those in acute need.
- For years, the Health Ministry through various schemes has been trying to financially help as many patients as possible but this is a more sustainable measure for not just patients in India but also worldwide.
- Several companies -- including Biophore India, Laurus Labs, Azico Biophore, MSN Pharmaceuticals, Akums Drugs and Pharmaceutical – have come forward to take part in the venture.