Government launches e-SHRAM portal
6th Sep, 2021
The government of India unveiled the e-SHRAM portal for better execution of various social security schemes for the unorganised sector workers.
Key facts about e-SHRAM
- The government will provide e-SHRAM cards to workers with the help of which they can register on the e-SHRAM portal.
- All the e-SHRAM cards will have a unique Universal Account Number (UAN) and the workers can avail various benefits of the social security schemes via this card anytime, anywhere.
- The 12-digit UAN number in the e-SHRAM card is valid throughout the country.
- There are approximately 40 crore workers in the informal sector, including 2-3 crore migrant workers.
- e-SHRAM scheme covers almost all unorganised workers of the country, comprising construction workers, migrant workers, domestic workers, street vendors, truck drivers, fishermen, agricultural workers.
- All the unorganised workers registered under the scheme will be given accidental Insurance Coverage under Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY) for 365 days.
- It will build a comprehensive database of the unorganised workforce.
- It will also help in delivering social security schemes implemented by the Central and state governments.