India’s first pure green hydrogen plant commissioned in Jorhat
Ecology and Environment
4th May, 2022
Oil India Limited (OIL) has recently taken the first significant step towards Green Hydrogen Economy in India with the commissioning of India’s First 99.999% pure Green Hydrogen pilot plant.
About India’s first pure green hydrogen plant:
- Oil India Limited (OIL), India’s second largest National Exploration & Production Company, has taken the first significant step towards Green Hydrogen Economy in India with the commissioning of India’s First 99.999% pure Green Hydrogen pilot plant with an installed capacity of 10 kg per day at its Jorhat Pump Station in Assam.
- The plant was commissioned in a record time of 3 months.
- The plant produces Green Hydrogen from the electricity generated by the existing 500kW Solar plant using a 100 kW Anion Exchange Membrane (AEM) Electrolyser array. The use of AEM technology is being used for the first time in India.
- This plant is expected to increase its production of green hydrogen from 10 kg per day to 30 kg per day in future.
- 'Green hydrogen' is pure hydrogen produced using renewable energy sources such as wind or solar power.
- There are no natural hydrogen deposits on earth; it has to be extracted from other compounds by a chemical process.
- If renewable energy (e.g. from Solar panels) is used to generate electricity for the electrolysis of water then the green hydrogen can be generated without any harmful emissions.