MeitY Startup Hub and Meta collaborate to accelerate XR Technology Startups
16th Sep, 2022
Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) Startup Hub in collaboration with Meta will launch a program to support and accelerate XR technology startups across India.
- India is uniquely placed to play a pivotal role in the metaverse with a large talent pool of creators, developers and a vibrant technology ecosystem.
- The world looks to it for supply technology, innovation and talent to cater to the greater demand for digital products.
- This collaboration is part of the Indian Government’s efforts for skilling in emerging and future technologies.
MeitY Startup Hub:
- The MeitY Startup Hub is a national platform focused on promoting technology innovation, start-ups, and the creation of intellectual properties. It was launched in 2019.
- MeitY Startup Hub (MSH) aims to serve as an integrating platform for startups and incubators.
- According to the government, it has supported more than 3,000 startups, with a vision to ramp it up to more than 10,000 in the next three to five years.
- Extended reality, or XR, is an emerging realm of technology that combines real and virtual environments.
- Extended Reality (XR) is an umbrella term encapsulating Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR), Mixed Reality (MR), and everything in between.
- The term is also used to refer to human-machine interactions generated through wearables and computer technology.
- It includes representative forms such as augmented reality, mixed reality and virtual reality and the areas interpolated among them.
- The term first popped up in the 1960s when Charles Wyckoff filed a patent for his silver-halide “XR” film, intended for photographing extremely bright light events, such as nuclear explosions.