Montenegro, first European nation to become Coronavirus free
2nd Jun, 2020
Montenegro, a small Balkan country of some 600,000 people, has become the first country in Europe to declare itself Coronavirus free.
- Montenegro, a small Balkan country of some 600,000 people, has become the first country in Europe to declare itself Coronavirus free.
- One of Europe’s smallest countries with a population of a little over 6 lakh, Montenegro is known for its rugged mountainscapes, glacial lakes and its buzzing beaches.
- The country reported 324 coronavirus cases and nine deaths in 68 days. There are currently no active cases of COVID-19 in the country.
How does a country certify it is free of Coronavirus?
- The WHO declares a country free of a virus when there hasn't been a confirmed case after twice the maximum incubation period, which is the time of first exposure to an infection and the onset of symptoms.
- In the case of COVID-19, the WHO has said the maximum incubation period is 14 days.