National Telemedicine Service
Polity & Governance
16th Dec, 2022
In a significant achievement, eSanjeevani, Govt. of India’s free telemedicine service, has crossed another astounding milestone by clocking 8 crore teleconsultations.
eSanjeevani is a cohesive part Ayushman Bharat Digital Health Mission (ABDM), and more than 45,000 ABHA IDs have been generated via eSanjeevani application.
About the initiative:
- An e-health initiative of Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, eSanjeevani is a national telemedicine service that strives to provide an alternative to the conventional physical consultations via digital platform.
- It consists of two verticals that cater to patients across all states and UTs successfully making its presence felt in the innermost regions of the nation.
- The first vertical is ‘eSanjeevani AB-HWC’, endeavors to bridge rural-urban digital health divide by providing assisted teleconsultations, and ensuring that e beneficiaries of Ayushman Bharat Scheme are able to avail of the benefits they are entitled to.
- This vertical operates on a Hub-and-Spoke model wherein the ‘Ayushman Bharat-Health and Wellness Centers’ (HWCs) are set up at state level, which are mapped with the hub (comprising MBBS/ Specialty/Super-Specialty doctors) at zonal level.
- ‘eSanjeevaniOPD’ is the another vertical which caters to citizens in both rural and urban
- It leverages technology via smartphones, tablets, and laptops enabling doctor consultations to be accessible from the patient’s residence regardless of location.