National Urban Digital Mission
1st Mar, 2021
Indian Central government recently launched ‘National Urban Digital Mission’ to establish digital infrastructure for cities.
What is National Urban Digital Mission (NUDM)?
- The National Urban Digital Mission (NUDM) has been launched by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs along with the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- It will institutionalize a citizen-centric and ecosystem-driven approach to urban governance and service delivery in 2022 cities by 2022, and across all cities and towns in India by 2024.
- It will help in supplementing Digital India initiative along with Smart Cities Mission.
- Objective: The mission will create a shared digital infrastructure for urban India, working across the three pillars of people, process, and platform to provide holistic support to cities and towns.
Key- features of the mission
- NUDM is citizen-centric, ecosystem-driven, and principles-based in both design and implementation.
- NUDM has articulated a set of governing principles.
- It inherits the technology design principles of the National Urban Innovation Stack (NUIS).
Other major initiatives
- Several other digital initiatives of MoHUA India Urban Data Exchange (IUDX), SmartCode, Smart Cities 2.0 website, and Geospatial Management Information System (GMIS) were also launched.
- India Urban Data Exchange (IUDX): IUDX is an open-source software platform which facilitates the secure, authenticated, and managed exchange of data amongst various data platforms.
- Partnership program: The India Urban Data Exchange has been developed in partnership between the Smart Cities Mission and the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru.
- SmartCode Platform: SmartCode is a platform designed to address the challenges that ULBs face in the development and deployment of digital applications.
These initiatives are among the ongoing efforts of both Ministries to realize the Prime Minister’s vision of Digital India and AtmaNirbhar Bharat, by making cities more self-reliant and enabled to meet the needs of and provide services to their citizens.