NITI Aayog launches GIS-based Geospatial Energy Map of India
Science & Technology
25th Oct, 2021
NITI Aayog launched a Geographic Information System (GIS)-based Energy Map of India.
Abouy GIS-based Energy Map of India
- The GIS map provides a holistic picture of all energy resources of the country which enables visualisation of energy installations such as
- conventional power plants
- oil and gas wells, petroleum refineries
- coal fields and coal blocks
- district-wise data on renewable energy power plants
- renewable energy resource potential through 27 thematic layers
- The map attempts to identify and locate all primary and secondary sources of energy and their transportation/transmission networks to provide a comprehensive view of energy production and distribution in a country.
- It is developed by NITI Aayog in collaboration with Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) with the support of Energy Ministries of Government of India.
Significance of identification of energy sources
- Effective organization of scattered data
- Interactive and user-friendly
- Better policy formulation and decision making
- Better management of disasters