SSLV ‘development flights’ likely in 2022
Science & Technology
11th May, 2022
Recently, the Chairman of Indian Space Research Organization’s (ISRO) announced that indigenous Small Satellite Launch Vehicle (SSLV) will have its maiden development flight in 2022.
- The SSLV-D1 Micro SAT will be launched in 2022.
Small Satellite Launch Vehicle (SSLV)
- SSLV has been designed to meet “Launch on Demand” requirements in a cost-effective manner.
- It is a 3 stage all solid vehicle and it is the smallest vehicle at 110-ton mass at ISRO.
- It can carry satellites weighing up to 500 kg to a low earth orbit while the tried and tested PSLV can launch satellites weighing in the range of 1000 kg.
- It will take only 72 hours to integrate, unlike the 70 days taken now for a launch vehicle.
- Only six people will be required to do the job, instead of 60 people. The entire job will be done in a very short time and the cost will be only around Rs 30 crore.
- It will be an on-demand vehicle.
- SSLV is perfectly suited for launching multiple microsatellites at a time and supports multiple orbital drop-offs.
- New Space India Limited (NSIL) under Department of Space will be the sole nodal agency responsible for providing end to end SSLV launch services for the customer satellite.