The Interpol General Assembly meeting held in Delhi
21st Oct, 2022
The General Assembly of the International Criminal Police Organisation (Interpol) recently held in Delhi.
- This is the second time since 1997 the 195 member-strong body is holding such a large conference in India.
- Interpol was set up in 1923.
- It is a secure information-sharing platform that facilitates criminal investigation of police forces across the globe through collection and dissemination of information received from various police forces.
- Aim: to promote the widest-possible mutual assistance between criminal police forces.
- It keeps track of the movements of criminals and those under the police radar in various regions and tips off police forces which had either sought the Interpol’s assistance or which in its opinion will benefit from the particulars available with it.
The CBI assumes the role of highest Investigation body in India with one of its senior officers heading its exclusive Inter-wing (the National Central Bureaus) for collation of information and liaison with the world body.