US announces boycott the 2022 Olympics
13th Dec, 2021
In a latest development, the United States announced the boycott of the 2022 Olympics. The Olympics 2022 is to be held in Beijing.
- The US cited that “China’s human rights ATTROCITIES” is the main reason for its boycott. The US has named the boycott as “Diplomatic Boycott”.
What is Diplomatic Boycott?
- It means that the US is not sending any official or diplomatic representation to participate in the Olympics.
- However, the US is allowing American athletes to participate in the Olympics.
US Previously boycotting
- Previously, the US boycotted the Olympics completely in 1980 to protest against the Soviet Union military presence in Afghanistan.
- In 1980, around 60 countries refused to compete in the Olympics along with the US. This included China, Japan, Canada, Israel and West Germany.
Why is the US boycotting the Olympics 2022?
The US is boycotting for the following human rights atrocities of China:
- Situations in Taiwan and Tibet
- The crackdown in Hong Kong
- Abuse of minority Muslim Uyghurs in Xinjiang