‘Vijayanagara became Karnataka’s 31st district’
Polity & Governance
16th Feb, 2021
The government of Karnataka notified the formation of a new district called Vijayanagara, bifurcating the district of Ballari in the State. With Vijayanagara, the state now has 31 districts.
The Vijayanagara district
- Named after the capital of the Vijayanagar Empire, the new district was carved out from Ballari under the Karnataka Land Revenue Act, 1964.
- It is famous for its UNESCO World Heritage sites – Hampi and VirupakshaTemple.
- Vijayanagara has six taluks – Hosapete, Kudligi, Hagaribommanahalli, Kotturu, HoovinaHadagali, and Harapanahalli.
- Hosapeteis its headquarters.
Formation of a new district
- For the formation of a new district, no central government permission is required whereas the formation of a new state is in the purview of Central government.
- This will be under the state government only.