Womaniya on GeM
Polity & Governance
24th Jan, 2019
Government e Marketplace [GeM] has launched “Womaniya on GeM”, an initiative for women entrepreneurs.
More on news
- This initiative aims to enable women entrepreneurs and women self-help groups [WSHGs] to sell handicrafts and handloom, accessories, jute and coir products, home décor and office furnishings, directly to various Government ministries, departments and institutions.
- The initiative seeks to develop women entrepreneurship on the margins of society to achieve gender-inclusive economic growth.
- It is assumed that Womaniya on GeM will spur hyper-local economic subsequently address goals and objectives under United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
Government e Marketplace (GeM):
- It is a 100 percent government owned company setup under the aegis of Ministry of Commerce and Industry for procurement of common use goods and services by Government ministries, departments and CPSEs.
- To affect an evolution in public procurement promoting a transparent, efficient and inclusive marketplace.
- Institute a unified procurement policy to encourage behavioural change and drive reform.
- Establish a lean, dynamic organization capable of continuous innovation and market driven decision making.
- Build an easy to use, fully automated platform to ensure transparency and efficiency in procurement
- Demonstrate commitment to delivering value by ensuring right quality at right price
- Create a sustainable ecosystem covering all stakeholders and driving inclusive development in India