6th Sep, 2021
India is going to participate in a two-week multinational military exercise named 'ZAPAD 2021' at Nizhny in Russia.
Key- highlights of 'ZAPAD 2021' exercise
- ZAPAD 2021 is one of the theatre level exercises of the Russian Armed Forces and will focus primarily on operations against terrorists.
- The exercise begins at Nizhniy in Russia where the Indian contingent will participate.
- Over a dozen countries from Eurasian and South Asian Region will participate in this signature event.
- Nine are Participating countries which include Mongolia, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Serbia, Russia, India and Belarus.
- The other eight countries are Observing countries which include Pakistan, China, Vietnam, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Uzbekistan and Sri Lanka.
- India will be participating in Zapad with a strength of 250 troops.
- The NAGA Battalion group participating in the exercise will feature an all Arms combined task force.
- The Naga Regiment is an infantry regiment of the Indian Army.
- The exercise aims to enhance military and strategic ties amongst the participating nations while they plan & execute this exercise.
- India also participated in theexercise TSENTR , which is part of the annual series of large scale exercises that form part of the Russian Armed Forces' annual training cycle.