Agnipath, a fire that could singe India
Recently Agnipath scheme for recruitment of shortterm contracted soldiers was announced.
What Is Agneepath Scheme?
- Youthful profile of the Armed Forces - According to the government, AGNEEPATH scheme has been designed to enable a youthful profile of the Armed Forces.
- Opportunity to the youth- It will provide an opportunity to the youth who may be keen to don the uniform by attracting young talent from the society who are more in tune with contemporary technological trends and plough back skilled, disciplined and motivated manpower into the society.
- Reduce the defence pension bill - This will, in turn, considerably reduce the defence pension bill, which has been a major concern for governments for many years.
What is the eligibility criteria?
- Personnel below officer ranks -The new system is only for personnel below officer ranks (those who do not join the forces as commissioned officers).
- Age Criteria- Under the Agnipath scheme, aspirants between the ages of 17.5 years and 21 years will be eligible to apply.
- Recruitment twice a year- The recruitment standards will remain the same, and recruitment will be done twice a year through rallies.