Question: What is ‘criminal contempt’? Discuss the essentials that constitute criminal contempt. (150 words)
- Introduction- brief about contempt of court and its kind- ‘criminal contempt’ (Section 2 (c) of the Contempt of Courts Act, 1971)
- List down important laws/provisions related to contempt of court
- Article 129 & 142(2) of the Indian Constitution of India
- The Contempt of Court Act, 1971
- Discuss the essentials/constituents
- Publication of any matter (materials contain something that scandalises)
- Scandalizing or lowering the authority of the court
- Prejudice or interference with the due course of any judicial proceeding
- Obstruction/interference with the administration of justice in any other manner.
- Also mention involved fundamental rights (Right to freedom and speech)
- Conclude accordingly
*Also differentiate between criticism and contempt.