India invited to join the International Energy Agency (IEA)
GS-II: International Relations
- Important International Institutions
International Energy Agency (IEA) has recently invited India, the world’s third-largest energy consumer, to become its full-time member.
- This invitation is a natural corollary to the India-IEA strategic partnership which was inked in January 2021.
Which of the following statements regarding the International Energy Agency (IEA) is/are correct?
- It is an autonomous intergovernmental organization established in the framework of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC).
- A candidate country to the IEA must be a member country of the OECD.
- If India becomes a full member of IEA, It will have to raise strategic oil reserves to 90 days requirement.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
Explain the mandate of the International Energy Agency. Analyze the role of the agency in the transformation of the world's energy landscape towards a more greener future. (150 Words)
- Introduce by giving a definition of IEA
- Describe the mandate of IEA
- Enumerate the role played by IEA in promotion of Green energy
- Enumerate the challenges that remain
- Way Forward and Conclusion