India-UAE cooperation to sow regional food security
The IndiaUAE food security partnership stands to benefit from multiple points of convergence.
- Global agri-export powerhouse- India has built its status as a global agriexport powerhouse using its vast tracts of arable land, a highly favourable climate, and a large and growing food production and processing sector.
- Public Distribution System- India runs the Public Distribution System, the world’s largest food subsidy programme, providing nearly 800 million citizens with subsidised grains
- Global food security dialogue- As a part of its G20 presidency, India is promoting the consumption and farming of millets — nutritious, drought-resistant, sustainable, crops — that demonstrate the resilience focus that India offers to the global food security dialogue.
What the UAE brings to the table?
- Investments in food parks- During the I2U2 (India, Israel, the United Arab Emirates and the United States) summit, the UAE committed $2 billion in investment towards constructing food parks in India.
- Logistics and Infrastructure Pipelines- Given the food corridor’s incredible commercial potential, several UAEbased companies have expressed interest in constructing a supporting logistics and infrastructure pipeline to accelerate trade and reinforce the food corridor.
- Agriota- The Dubai Multi Commodities Centre, the UAE’s largest free trade zone, launched Agriota, an agritrading and commodity platform to link Indian farmers to food companies in the UAE.