Centre asks State to carry out audit of ropeways
Polity & Governance
18th Apr, 2022
After the Jharkhand incident of ropeway accident Ministry of Home Affairs has directed the states to prepare Standard Operation Procedures (SOPs).
- Recent Jharkhand incident has highlighted the urgent need to have detailed SOPs for ropeway service.
- Ministry of Home Affairs has sent advisory to the Chief Secretaries of the states to prepare for detailed SOPs for ropeway services.
Legislation available till now:
- Aerial Ropeways Act, 2002 had been passed the government to development various ropeways in the country.
- Apart from central legislation various states have their own legislation regarding ropeway services and maintenance.
What are the recent developments done by the government?
- States like Uttarakhand has signed Memorandum of Understanding with Ministry of Road, Transport and Highways to build up ropeway links.
- In the Budget 2022, Ministry of Finance has announced to develop 8 new ropeway services.
- PARVATMALA- An efficient and safe alternate transport network: Under the Ministry of Road, Transport and Highways this scheme will be implemented in a PPP model, for various Himalayan states and North-East states.
What are the majors driving factors driving ropeway infrastructure?
- Economical mode of transportation
- Safer and Alternate mode of transportation in difficult hilly terrain: Ropeways are built in a straight line over the hilly terrain which can reduce the cost of land acquisition. And provide an alternate and faster mode of transportation.
- Faster mode of transportation: Ropeway services can provide a faster mode of transportation as compared to roadways
- Environment friendly: Low dust emissions. Material can be designed to rule out any soiling of environment.
- Last mile connectivity
What are benefits from ropeway services?
- Ideal for difficult and sensitive terrain.
- Tourism sector: It can promote tourism sector in the hilly and North Eastern states.
- A new set of economy can be generated by the development of ropeway services.
- Transportation flexibility: Ropeways have the capacity to carry various types of materials
- Ability to handle large slopes: It has the capacity to handle higher gradient as compared to roadways
- Low footprint: it can be built and operated on the areas where there is higher land use is in intense competition.
- Security and Surveillance: It can provide a faster means of transport to the armed forces in difficult terrain to handle the extremist activity and maintain peace and security at various places.
- Better border management: even it has the capacity to manage border areas and manage security set up for external stand-offs.
What are the major challenges lie ahead?
- Policy bottlenecks
- Quality check procedure
- Safety guidelines
- Public awareness
What are steps that need to be taken?
- Decentralized policy measures
- Proper Standard Operating Procedures and safety measures
- Terrain specific policy measures
Ropeways have the potential to serve a diversified sector for India. This can provide a safe cushion to the ongoing and upcoming economical, developmental and security challenges in various areas.