China launches third aircraft carrier in major military milestone
Science & Technology
29th Jun, 2022
China recently launched its third aircraft carrier, the country’s most advanced.
- China’s first aircraft carrier, the Liaoning, was a refit of the Soviet-era ship commissioned in 2012, followed by the indigenously built 2nd aircraft carrier Shandong in 2019.
- China plans to have around five aircraft carriers.
- The aircraft carrier named Fujian was launched at a brief ceremony held at Shanghai’s Jiangnan Shipyard.
- The Fujian is China’s first domestically designed and built catapult aircraft carrier.
- The launch was delayed by two months due to the COVID lockdown of Shanghai.
- The third aircraft carrier built by China State Shipbuilding Corporation Limited has a displacement of more than 80,000 tonnes and is equipped with electromagnetic catapults and arresting devices.
- The Fujian, which is the “first fully domestically developed and constructed” aircraft carrier with an electromagnetic aircraft launch system (EMALS), has a flat, straight flight deck and arresting device.
- It has a full displacement of more than 80,000 tonnes, as much as 20,000 tonnes more than the other two aircraft carriers.
- Fujian is the name of China’s eastern coastal province of Fujian.