December 26 to be celebrated as ‘Veer Bal Diwas’
Polity & Governance
18th Jan, 2022
Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the government decision to mark December 26 as Veer Bal Diwas in the memory of Guru Gobind Singh’s sons.
About Guru Gobind Singh
- Guru Gobind Singh, the tenth sixth guru, a spiritual leader, warrior, poet and philosopher.
- He formally became the leader and protector of the Sikhs at the age of nine after his father, Guru Tegh Bahadur, the ninth Sikh Guru, was killed by Aurangzeb for refusing to convert to Islam.
- He founded the sixth warrier community called Khalsa in 1699.
- The community was created especially for the defence of Sikhism and Hinduism against the Mughals.
- Guru Gobind Singh fought 14 battles against the Mughals and won most of the battles.
- Guru Gobind Singh Ji declared Guru Granth Sahib as Sikhism's holy scripture in 1708, before his death.
- He left his bodily form on October 7 in 1708.
- Guru Gobind Singh had four sons- Baba Ajit Singh, Baba Jujhar Singh, Baba Zorowar Singh and Baba Fateh Singh
- Among Guru Gobind’s four sons, two of the eldest (Zorawar Singh and Fateh Singh), were martyred at the Battle of Chamkaur in December 1704 against the Mughals.