Global Terrorism Index 2023
Polity & Governance
24th Mar, 2023
India ranks 13th on The Global Terrorism Index (GTI).
- The report shows that Afghanistan continues to be the country most affected by terrorism for the 4th year in a row, even though attacks and deaths decreased.
- The GTI report is produced by the Institute for Economics & Peace (IEP), a think tank, using data from Terrorism Tracker and other sources.
- Terrorism Tracker provides event records on terrorist attacks since 1 January 2007.
- The dataset contains almost 66,000 terrorist incidents for the period 2007 to 2022.
- Globally, deaths from terrorism fell by 9% to 6,701 deaths, marking a 38% decrease from its peak in 2015.
- Pakistan recorded the second largest surge in terror-related deaths worldwide in 2022, the toll increasing significantly to 643.
- South Asia remains the region with the worst average GTI score.
- South Asia recorded 1,354 deaths from terrorism in 2022.
- Islamic State (IS) and its affiliates were the deadliest terror group globally for the eighth consecutive year, recording the most attacks and deaths of any group in 2022.