Government launches e-Sahaj portal to facilitate security clearances of businesses
Polity & Governance
29th Sep, 2018
Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has recently launched e-Sahaj portal to facilitate individuals and private companies in seeking security clearance for setting up businesses in certain sensitive sectors.
- e-Sahaj: On the portal, applicants can submit their applications and view its status online from time to time. This will bring greater transparency in according security clearances to business proposals relating to sensitive sectors and geographical locations.
- Security Clearance: The objective of national security clearance is to evaluate potential security threats, including economic threats and provide risk assessment before clearing investment and project proposals in key sectors. Thus, it is essential for maintaining healthy balance between ensuring national security and facilitating ease of doing business.
- MHA: It is the nodal authority for granting security clearances in certain sensitive sectors before licence, permit, permission, contract etc. is issued to companies, bidders, individuals by respective administrative ministry.
- With its introduction, the process has now become standardised, making the process faster, transparent and easier to monitor.
- It will thus help in facilitating ease of doing business and promoting investment in the country.