Jan Shikshan Sansthan
Polity & Governance
7th Feb, 2019
- The government recently unveiled new guidelines for Jan Shikshan Sansthans (JSS) aligning them to the National Skills Qualification Framework with an aim to providing standardised training across sectors.
- Formerly under the Ministry of Human Resources Development, Jan Shikshan Sansthan was transferred to the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship in 2018.
Jan Shikshan Sansthan
- JSSs are established to provide vocational training to non-literate, neo-literate, as well as school drop outs by identifying skills as would have a market in the region of their establishment.
- JSS guidelines have been reformed keeping in mind the diverse stake-holders engaged in running these institutions, and will bring in greater flexibility, transparency and uniformity.
Key highlights of the guidelines:
- Alignment of JSS course and curriculum to National Skill Qualification Framework (NSQF) to standardize training
- Decentralization of powers for JSSs- giving more accountability and independence to district administration
- To identify and promote traditional skills in the district through skilling / upskilling
- Evidence based assessment system
- Easy Online certification
- Linking JSS to PFMS (Public Finance Management system) maintaining transparency and accountability of the ecosystem
- Creating livelihood linkages
- Training of Trainers to develop the capacity through NSTIs (National Skills Training Institutes)
Scope of Jan Shikshan Sansthans:
- Develop/ Source appropriate curriculum and training modules covering vocational elements general awareness and life enrichment components.
- Wherever possible, JSS are encouraged to undertake
- Training equivalent to courses designed by the Directorate of Adult education, National Institute of Open Schooling and Director General Employment & Training.
- Provide training to a pool of resource persons and master trainers for conducting training as also availability of infrastructure and training – specific equipment.
- Administer simple tests and award certificates
- Network with employers and industries for trainees to get suitable placements.