National Rail and Transportation Institute
25th Mar, 2020
Technologies including Internet of Things (IoT), Big Data and Artificial Intelligence are being used for modernisation of Signalling systems.
- Technologies including Internet of Things (IoT), Big Data and Artificial Intelligence are being used for modernisation of Signalling systems.
- Remote Condition Based Monitoring using non-intrusive sensors, Data Logger system, Electronic Interlocking Stations, Mobile Train Radio Communication (MTRC), are being introduced.
- The use of this technology enables prediction of signalling assets failures and enhances reliability of Signalling System. Further, MTRC based on Long Term Evolution (LTE-4G) is planned to be extended to cover all major routes over Indian Railways.
- Indian Railways is also working on various way side fault detection technologies which are based on internet of Things, big data and artificial intelligence to improve safety, punctuality and line capacity.
- Research, Design and Standards Organisation (RDSO) is focusing on research and development work in coordination with academia and industry to improve Railway operation.
- A Centre of Excellence on Next General Transportation Systems to develop activity in research, education & training, knowledge transfer etc. has been launched in collaboration with the University of Birmingham, UK.
- Development of several new Technologies like TCAS (Train Collision Avoidance System), Fog Pass, Fog Vision, Online Monitoring of Rolling Stock etc. has been taken up.