Tomato flu and it affects.
Science & Technology
23rd May, 2022
Tamil Nadu has ramped up surveillance at its borders in the wake of “tomato flu” cases being detected in Kerala.
About Tomato Flu:
- Tomato flu is a viral disease, which causes red rashes, skin irritation, and dehydration.
- The fever is affecting children below the age of five in Kerala.
- The flu that gets its name because of the red blister it causes.
- Around 80 children have so far been infected with the Tomato flu.
- There is no confirmation yet on whether the Tomato Fever is a viral fever or is an after-effect of chikungunya or dengue fever.
- Symptoms of Tomato flu:
- The main symptoms include high fever, rashes, and skin irritation. Hand and leg skin colour can change with rising blisters.
- Children might also experience abdominal cramps, body aches, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhoea.
- Treatment of Tomato flu:
- If a child shows symptoms, they should be taken directly to a doctor.
- Children are advised to be kept hydrated.
- If infected, the child must avoid scratching the blisters and maintain cleanliness and hygiene.
- Contact doctor immediately
- Do not scratch the blisters
- Stay hydrated by drinking boiled water.
- Maintain proper hygiene.
- Avoid close contact with the infected person.
- Use warm water for bathing
- Take proper rest to avoid its long-lasting effect