World Dairy Summit 2022
16th Sep, 2022
Prime Minister officially inaugurated the International Dairy Federation World Dairy Summit (IDF WDS) 2022, being held at the India Expo Centre and Mart in Greater Noida.
- Theme of the IDF WDS is ‘Dairy for Nutrition and Livelihood’.
- Last time India hosted the International Dairy Congress in 1974.
- The dairy summit is a congregation of global and Indian dairy industry leaders, experts, farmers, and policy planners.
International Dairy Federation
- IDF is the leading source of scientific and technical expertise for all stakeholders of the dairy chain.
- Since 1903, IDF's network of dairy experts has provided a mechanism for the dairy sector to reach global consensus on how to help feed the world with safe and sustainable dairy products.
Indian Dairy Sector:
- India is self-sufficient in milk and the world’s top milk producer as well as consumer.
- India accounts for 23 per cent of the global output.
- The annual domestic production of milk in the country is estimated at 220 million tonne.
- India is home to about 19 percent of in-milk cattle and 63 percent of in-milk buffaloes in the world.
- 50 well-defined breeds of cattle and 19 of buffaloes are well adapted to the local environment.