World Sparrow Day
30th Mar, 2022
World Sparrow Day (WSD) is celebrated every year on March 20th.
About World Sparrow Day:
- World Sparrow Day aims to raise awareness and protect the common house sparrows, which are not so commonly seen now due to increasing noise pollution.
- The day also has a broader vision to provide a platform where people who are working on the conservation of the House Sparrow and other common birds can network, collaborate and exchange conservation ideas which will lead to better science and improved results.
- World Sparrow Day is an initiative started by the Nature Forever Society of India along with the Eco-Sys Action Foundation of France.
- The Society was started by a dedicated conservationist Mohammed Dilawar.
- He was named by the Time as one of the "Heroes of the Environment" in 2008.
- The first World Sparrow Day was organised in 2010.
- In 2011, the World Sparrow Awards were established.
- The award recognises persons who have made significant contributions to environmental conservation and ordinary species protection.
World Sparrow Day 2022: Theme
The theme for World Sparrow Day this year is “I love sparrows” and attempts to unite people from all walks of life who share the sentiment to accelerate community-driven conservation efforts focused on sparrows.
About the sparrow:
- The sparrow, especially the common house sparrow, is one of the most ubiquitous birds on earth and is also one of the oldest companions of human beings.
- It has, over a period of time, evolved with us. Fortunately, they are still found in abundance in many parts of the world.
- Common name: House sparrow
- Scientific name: Passer domesticus
- Height: 16 centimeter
- Wingspan: 21 centimeter
- Weight: 25-40 grams