Safer roads for a greener, more sustainable environment
- Being aware of road safety while working on environmental sustainability is the need of the hour.
Road safety and Environment:
- Environmental Impact of vehicles: Vehicles contain toxic metals such as lead, mercury, cadmium, or hexavalent chromium, which are detrimental to the environment.
- Policy regarding end-of-life vehicles: Although National Automobile Scrappage Policy, 2021 is in place but it is still in a nascent stage.
- Road safety: In 2020 alone, speeding was responsible for 91,239 road crash fatalities, comprising 69.3% of all road crash deaths registered.
- Limiting Emissions: Simulation (Europe) has demonstrated that reducing speed limits even by 10 km/h can deliver 12% to 18% fuel savings and can reduce pollutant emissions.
- Government Reducing Speed Limits: Wales government has brought in 80 km/h speed limits at five locations across Wales to reduce outdoor pollution, resulting in PM reduction by up to 15%.