What's New :
Short News Article
Parakram Diwas 2023
The Parakram Diwas is celebrated on January 23, to commemorate the birth anniversary of freedom fighter Subhash Chandra Bose.
- The year 2023 marks the 126th birth anniversary of Bose, fondly known as ‘Netaji’.
- To mark the occasion, 21 unnamed islands of Andaman and Nicobar will be named after Param Veer Chakra awardees.
- A model of the National Memorial dedicated to Netaji which will be built on Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Dweep will also be unveiled.
- Who was Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose?
- Born in 1897 in Cuttack, Bose was an Indian nationalist in the era of British colonialism.
- After completing his education in India, Bose left for London to prepare for the Indian Civil Services exam and cleared it.
Role in India’s freedom struggle:
- In 1938, he became the president of the Indian National Congress. But resigned a year later despite defeating his rival in re-election.
- On October 21, 1943, Bose formed ‘Azad Hind Fauj’ and later started Azad Hind radio station in Germany
- He went missing on August 18, 1945, after a plane crash in Taiwan.
First anti-deforestation raids in Amazon
Brazil's government has launched its first Anti-Deforestation raids to protect Amazon.
- Brazil's environmental protection agency IBAMA launched its first anti-deforestation raid in search of illegal loggers that are contributing to the Amazon's deforestation.
- Prior to winning the elections, President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva pledged to rid the forest of illegal loggers in October 2022.
- Most of the destruction that occurs in the Amazon is owed to Jair Bolsonaro, who suspended the Amazon Fund in November 2019 following a quarrel with Norway.
Findings from raid:
- According to Reuters, agents from the IBAMA agency launched raids in multiple states including Para, Roraima and Acre.
- The police is able to track illegal loggers with the help of satellite images showing loggers clearing forests.
Science and Technology (GS-III)
The India International Science Festival in Bhopal
The 8th edition of the India International Science Festival (IISF) was inaugurated at the Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology (MANIT), Bhopal, on January 21, 2023.
About the event:
- Theme: Marching towards Amrit Kaal with Science, Technology, and Innovation.
- It is a four-day festival, also aligned with the G20 vision, which is Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam or “One Earth· One Family · One Future.”
- IISF will feature 14 thematic events:
- Students Science Village
- Face to face with New Frontiers of Science & Technology
- Science through Games & Toys
- Students Innovation Festival
- Vaigyanika (Literature)
- International Science Film Festival
- Guinness World Records attempts
- Artisan’s Technology Village-Vocal for Local
- Young Scientist Conclave
- New Age Technology Show
- National Social Organisations and Institutions Meet (NSOIM)
- STEM @ 2022-Mega Science and Technology Exhibition
- Start-up Meet
- Science and Technology Council Conclave.
- More than 2,500 school students from across India have been invited to attend the festival.
- Additionally, the festival will feature Biotech and Agri-tech start-ups.
Verifying, please be patient.