‘Sportswashing’, back in focus
GS-II: International Relations
- Important International Institutions
Saudi Arabia-backed takeover of Newcastle has recently brought ‘sportswashing’ back in focus.
- Buying Newcastle, investing in the club and the city and building a reputation of wealth leading to newer opportunities is an attempt to distract from Saudi Arabia state’s poor human rights record.
Which of the following statements best describe the term ‘Sportswashing’, seen in news recently?
Define ‘Sportswashing’ and critically evaluate the role of international sports in furthering the foreign policy objectives of a nation. (150 Words)
- Introduce by defining sportswashing.
- Enumerate how sporting events are used by countries to further their foreign policies
- Enumerate the negative impact on country