Why the southwest monsoon is early
- Salient features of world’s physical geography.
Just few days after it broke over the Kerala coast two days behind schedule, the southwest monsoon has progressed rapidly to cover two-thirds of the country. The reasons for this are given as
- Cyclone Yaas
- strong westerly winds from the Arabian Sea
- off-shore trough prevailing for a week between Maharashtra and Kerala
- formation of a low-pressure system over the North Bay of Bengal
Consider the following statements:
- Local meteorological factors such as the cyclones can influence the time of onset of the monsoon.
- The time of monsoon onset over a region has no direct impact on the rainfall quantum received during the season.
Which of the above statement(s) is/are incorrect?
What are the main factors governing inter-annual variation of the South-West monsoon? Has global warming any role in this regard?(250 words)