A matter of greying
The global demographic shifts are turning its focus on India's ageing population, fertility trends, and their geopolitical and socio-economic implications.
India's Population Dynamics
- India Overtaking China: India to surpass China in population, posing challenges and opportunities for the nation.
- Elderly Growth Spurt: UNFPA predicts rapid growth of elderly population, leading to economic and healthcare implications.
- Changing Fertility Dynamics: Fertility rates dropping below replacement level, urban areas akin to developed nations, altering demographic landscape.
Global Demographic Trends
- Aging World: Global ageing phenomenon accelerates; elderly populations increase while birth rates decline.
- China's Demographic Challenge: China's population decline shifts geopolitical dynamics, highlighting the role of reproductive rights and immigration.
- Population decline in Asia and Europe anticipated, signaling major geopolitical shifts in the 21st century.
Navigating India's Demographic Future
- Adapting to Demographic Transition: India must strategize for ageing population, ensuring healthcare, work-life balance, and reproductive rights for women.
- Socio-Economic Resilience: Preparedness for demographic changes crucial for India's continued socio-economic development and geopolitical relevance.
- Way forward:
- Suggestions include increasing awareness about elderly schemes, regulating Old Age Homes, and promoting in-situ aging.