What's New :
Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao now includes skilling
The Centre has expanded the scope of its flagship outreach program ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao' to include skilling.
- The government has decided to include skilling for girls in its Beti Bachao Beti Padao programme and has included the following component in the scheme:
- Ensuring a 1% annual increment in enrolment at the secondary school level
- To raise awareness about safe menstrual hygiene
- To promulgate the elimination of child marriages
- The scheme will now also focus on increasing the enrolment of girls in secondary education, particularly in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) subjects.
- Women have been historically under-represented in areas such as technology.
- A national (apex) committee will review the implementation of the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao scheme.
- It will be headed by the Secretary, Ministry of Women and Child Development, formed under the larger Mission Shakti mandate, will be the apex committee
Component of Skilling- Non-traditional livelihoods (NTL):
- Girls will be given skill training in non-traditional vocations.
- This will potentially make them torchbearers of women-led Atmanirbhar Bharat.
- It is reasoned that skilling, empowerment, and non-traditional livelihoods are the areas where women are historically under-represented.
Non-traditional livelihoods” (NTLs): It is the sectors and jobs where participation of women is and has historically been conventionally low or absent.
About Beti Bachao Beti Padao:
- It was launched in January 2015 with the aim to address sex-selective abortion and the declining child sex ratio which was 918 girls for every 1,000 boys in 2011.
- This is a joint initiative of the Ministry of Women and Child Development, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, and the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- The program is being implemented across 405 districts in the country.
- Prevention of gender-biased sex-selective elimination.
- Ensuring the survival & protection of the girl child.
- Ensuring education and participation of the girl child.
- Protecting rights of Girl children.
Verifying, please be patient.