What's New :
U.N. Secretary-General, PM Modi to launch the environmental programme
- United Nations Secretary-General will be travelling to India to launch a special environment programme with India’s Prime Minister.
- The programme which is going to be launched is part of the ‘Lifestyle for Environment’ (LiFE) initiative that was announced by Mr Modi earlier this year.
- This is going to be Mr Guterres, a second visit to India during his tenure as UN Secretary-General.
- “Climate chaos is knocking on everyone’s door” and it needs a global response. It appears promising to see Indian leadership and the UN coming together.
The launch of the programme:
- The launch will be marked on Sardar Patel’s birthday on October 31 as National Unity Day.
- The launch event at Kevadia (Gujrat) will also kick off a number of other governmental plans.
- From October 25-31, the government will launch “Unitea” marches in all 750 districts of the country to highlight health and environmental issues as well.
- The launch will be attended by hundreds of officials, and over a hundred diplomats and heads of Indian missions worldwide.
About Lifestyle for the Environment (LiFE) Movement:
- The idea of LiFE promotes an environmentally conscious lifestyle that focuses on ‘mindful and deliberate utilization’ instead of ‘mindless and wasteful consumption.
- The idea of LiFE was introduced by the Prime Minister during the 26th United Nations Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP26) in Glasgow in 2021.
Aim of the LiFE movement:
- The LiFE Movement aims to bring positive change in the environment through collective action.
- It aims to persuade individuals across the world to undertake simple climate-friendly actions in their daily lives or adoption of environment-conscious lifestyle.
- It also seeks to make the best use of social networks to influence social norms surrounding climate.
P3 in LiFE movement:
- The Mission plans to create and nurture a global network of individuals, namely ‘Pro-Planet People’ (P3).
- P3 will have a shared commitment to adopt and promote environmentally friendly lifestyles.
Most important objective of LiFE:
- The Mission envisions replacing the prevalent ‘use-and-dispose’ economy with a circular economy.
- The ‘Use and dispose’ economy is governed by mindless and destructive consumption whereas the circular economy is defined by mindful and deliberate utilization.
Verifying, please be patient.