Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA):
- It was established in 1997 and is a regional forum that seeks to build and expand understanding and mutually beneficial cooperation through a consensus-based, evolutionary and non-intrusive approach.
- IORA has 23 member states and 9 Dialogue Partners.
- Members: Australia, Bangladesh, Comoros, France, India, Indonesia, Iran, Kenya, Madagascar, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritius, Mozambique, Oman, Seychelles, Singapore, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Thailand, the United Arab Emirates, and Yemen.
- China is a dialogue partner in the IORA.
- The IORA Secretariat is based in Mauritius.
- The association gains importance from the fact that the Indian Ocean carries half of the world’s container ships, one-third of the world’s bulk cargo traffic, and two-thirds of the world’s oil shipments.
- It is a lifeline of international trade and transport and the Indian Ocean region is woven together by trade routes and commands control of major sea lanes.