What's New :
India gets S-400 training equipment
There is a delay in the delivery of the second regiment of S-400 from Russia due to the ongoing war in Ukraine.
S-400 Air Defence Missile System
- The S-400 Triumf, (NATO calls it SA-21 Growler), is a mobile, surface-to-air missile system (SAM) designed by Russia.
- It is the most dangerous operationally deployed modern long-range SAM (MLR SAM) in the world, considered much ahead of the US-developed Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system (THAAD).
- The system can engage all types of aerial targets including aircraft, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV and ballistic and cruise missiles within the range of 400km, at an altitude of up to 30km.
- The system can track 100 airborne targets and engage six of them simultaneously.
- The S-400 Triumf air defence system integrates multifunction radar, autonomous detection and targeting systems, anti-aircraft missile systems, launchers, and command and control centre.
- It is capable of firing three types of missiles to create a layered defence.
- With the threat of U.S. sanctionsunder CAATSA (Countering America’s Adversaries through Sanctions Act), New Delhi and Moscow had worked out payments through Rupee-Rouble exchange for this deal.
- The two sides are now exploring the same payment route for the larger bilateral trade.
- The Countering America’s Adversaries through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) is a U.S. federal law that imposes economic sanctions on Iran, Russia and North Korea.
- The bill came into effect on August 2, 2017, with the intention of countering perceived aggressions against the U.S. government by foreign powers.
- It accomplishes this goal by preventing U.S. companies from doing business with sanctioned entities.
Verifying, please be patient.