A Rare Dragonfly spotted in Kerala
Ecology and Environment
6th Jul, 2022
A species of Spiny Horntail- Dragonfly is seen in Kottiyoor forests of Kannur district of Kerala.
- This species is endemic to Western Ghats, earlier found in Maharashtra this year.
- In India, they are found in three types of species in genes Burmagomphus.
- cauvericus – restricted to certain areas of Western Ghats
- pyramidalis- Western Ghats as well as in Peninsular India.
- laidlawi- Found in whole of Western Ghats
- Other than these species all species of the genus are found in the Western and Eastern Himalayas.
- The new species is separated from its congeners by the markings on the lateral thorax and peculiar shape of anal appendages.
- Dragonflies are predatory insects from the order Odonata (an order of flying insects that includes the dragonflies and damselflies) and characterized by;
- large eyes
- transparent wings
- Most colourful patches in body
- Dragonflies are day flying species and have some common features like butterflies.
Other major species in India
- Ditch jewel dragonfly
- Diplacodes trivialis (ground skimmer): Most abundant species.
- Red Groundling
- Potamarcha congener- Common chaser