Atal Community Innovation Centre (ACIC) Program
13th Aug, 2019
Recently, the Atal Community Innovation Centre (ACIC) program was launched by Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) to foster innovation in India.
- The programme is aimed at spurring community innovation in underserved and un-served areas of the country. The significance of innovation can be understood by the fact that through innovation India can become a USD 5 trillion economy by 2024-25.
- ACIC can serve as the bridge between the knowledge base existing in communities and the advanced technical ecosystem prevalent in the market base, addressing the needs of society.
Importance of ACIC:
- India is set to become the largest consumer of fossil fuel in the next 15 years. Hence, there is a dire need to reduce India’s crude oil import bill which is pegged at Rs 6 lakh crore per annum. This program can come up with innovative methods like waste to wealth, which will help India in reducing its fossil fuel import bill.
- The program can be connected to every Panchayati Raj Institutions to help innovators at grassroots level become part of the policy framework and leverage their creativity to translate their products and services into innovation led commercial utilization for society.
- The program can play a major role towards establishing India as Innovation and Technology led Start-up nation and improve the ranking of India in Global Innovation Index.